What Should I ask when talking to a personal injury attorney after an accident?
A personal injury attorney is essentially a lawyer who offers legal representation to somebody who claims to have been injured either in a physical or psychological way due to negligence or wrongdoing of another person or entity through an accident.
Selecting a personal injury attorney may well turn out to be one of the most significant decisions you make in your life. Frequently, the injured parties have no clue regarding where to turn to get a good personal injury attorney. Because insurance companies almost never give a fair payment to private parties, it becomes almost a dire necessity to hire a good personal injury lawyer to negotiate or litigate for a fair resolution on your behalf.
Next, narrow down the wide legal field by focusing only on those attorneys who mainly concentrate on personal injury. If possible, try to locate a local attorney because someone local will be more answerable to you. Try and meet with a number of personal injury attorneys prior to making a final decision and committing yourself.
You also have to take the location of your potential attorney into consideration. You don’t want one of the big DC personal injury attorneys handling your case if need a Philadelphia personal injury lawyer. You may even narrow down your search a bit more, and try and find someone who specializes in your particular city. In Wisconsin, you may want to search for a Germantown personal injury lawyer, or a Milwaukee law firm. Having someone you can speak to frequently is going to be very beneficial.
Once you make your final selection, organize for a face to face a meeting with the attorney. The type of questions you ought to ask will obviously vary with your specific case. However, the following should point you into the right direction and should form the starting point of your engagement with the lawyer:
- Which are your specific areas of specialization?
- Exactly what your qualifications? Have you undertaken any continuing legal education lessons/courses recently?
- How frequently do you go to trial?
- Have you ever handled similar cases to mine previously? If so, how many and what were the outcomes?
- Have you ever faced an ethics committee, been disciplined or been suspended? If so, why?
- Will you be working alone on my case and if not, who else will be working with you?
- About how long do you estimate this case will take before conclusion?
- In case you are not available or on you are vacation, whom can I contact?
- What channels will you keep me up to date?
- Will you follow my wishes?
At the initial face to face meeting, the attorney ought to be frank with you and give it straight to you if you have a strong case, how long it could last, the kind of possible settlement you may expect and most significant, their fee structure.
In selecting a personal injury attorney, because this is somebody you will spend quite some time with and since the outcome means a lot to you, personal likeability should factor into the equation. You should to have an excellent and positive vibe about the attorney you opt for to represent you.